13.12.07

Blueberry Muffins

How to make blueberry Hockey Pucks


Step the first, gather your ingredients:

1 cup milk
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup fresh blueberries (do you see that I have frozen berries down there? This will be an important, and disastrous detail later)


Step the second, Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.

Step the third, In a large bowl, stir together milk, egg, and oil. Add flour, baking powder, sugar.


Step the fifth, add blueberries; gently mix the batter with only a few strokes. Notice that blueberries are turning batter a lovely shade of purple.

Step the sixth, spoon batter into muffin tin. Hope that baking will "cook" the purple out.



Step the seventh, ask dog for advice on the very purple state of my muffins. Receive offer to lick bowl.


Step the eighth, decide to add "streusel" topping to muffins, in order to hide disconcerting shade of batter.

Step the ninth, bake for 20 minutes.

Step the tenth, confess to future husband that you may have doubled the amount of blueberries needed, and maybe also used frozen berries even though the recipe called for fresh. Watch as future hubby questions whether you were raised by wolves. Allow him to comment that the finished product is rather dense and more suitable for slap shots than breakfast. Force him to eat muffin anyway.


Culinary Lesson Learned: DO NOT USE FROZEN BERRIES WITH THIS RECIPE AND (it's a two fold lesson) DO NOT USE EXTRA BERRIES.

The End.

















7 comments:

email said...

Oh, I like these even better than the recipes where everything comes out beautifully. Bad results and lessons learned. I'm thinking this is going to be a very educational blog.

Animanous said...

Um, didn't you use 1 AND 1/2 cup of blueberries? that is 3 times the amount. They actually were pretty good, once you broke through the inpenatrable shell. Also, cleaning the blue stickyness off my hands was a bit difficult afterwords.

Pickles and Dimes said...

This is awesome. You guys are like "The Pioneer Woman Cooks," only snarkier.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Tess said...

I sort of liked the festive smurfy color.

I'm with JMC, I like the disasters as well as, if not better than, the successes.

artemisia said...

This is awesome! How fun. And yummy...

I'm with Tessie, I kind of like the smurfy color.

Woo woo! I love that the pup was "involved," too!

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I love this - I'm looking forward to learning from your mistakes, as I am a suckerific cook. And, I still live on mac n cheese - way to evolve.

LoriD said...

My blueberry muffins and pancakes always come out purple. Love the name of the new blog. Clever!